Sports Physiotherapy Group
What is the Sport SIG:
Creating physiotherapy awareness at Sporting events and amongst the general population participating in sports throughout the country. The Sport Physio Group (SPG) is a special interest group of the SASP for physiotherapists interested in the prevention and treatment of sport injuries.
The SPG is affiliated with the International Federation of Sport Physical Therapists (IFSPT), WiSH (The Wits Institute for Sport and Health) as well as the South African Sport Medicine Association with representation on the executive committees.
Events that the SPG are involved with:
- Two Oceans Marathon, Dusi Canoe marathon, Aspen marathon, Comrades expo
- Amashova Classic Cycling Race, Ottosdal draf en trap race
- Urban Run Eastern Cape, Spar Ladies Challenges
- Ironman South Africa
- Cape Town Cycle Challenge & Expo, Herald Cycle race
- 7 Momentum Cycle Challenge, MTB challenge
- 702 Walk-the-talk and many more local sporting events…
Vision and Mission of the SPGVision
- To be a forum for physiotherapists with a special interest in sport.
- To promote excellence of services, at sporting events and the public.
- To represent the interest of sport physiotherapists on higher platforms.
- To assist the portfolios of the SASP with special input regarding policy, ethics and others, in the related fields of physiotherapy.
- To support the SPG members nationally and internationally in achieving and maintaining high quality standards of healthcare delivery by encouraging and providing continuing education.
- To provide the members of the SPG good value service resources and networking across the country and internationally.
- To promote a wider understanding of the role of the sport physiotherapist within the profession, other health professions, and the public at large.
How do I become a member?
You can become a member by choosing Sport as a Special Interest Group when renewing your SASP membership.
Treasurer: Shuaib Rasool
PR/Marketing: Line Badenhorst