What is the Sport SIG:
Creating physiotherapy awareness at Sporting events and amongst the general population participating in sports throughout the country. The Sport Physio Group (SPG) is a special interest group of the SASP for physiotherapists interested in the prevention and treatment of sport injuries.
The SPG is affiliated with the International Federation of Sport Physical Therapists (IFSPT), WiSH (The Wits Institute for Sport and Health) as well as the South African Sport Medicine Association with representation on the executive committees.
Events that the SPG are involved with:
- Two Oceans Marathon, Dusi Canoe marathon, Aspen marathon, Comrades expo
- Amashova Classic Cycling Race, Ottosdal draf en trap race
- Urban Run Eastern Cape, Spar Ladies Challenges
- Ironman South Africa
- Cape Town Cycle Challenge & Expo, Herald Cycle race
- 7 Momentum Cycle Challenge, MTB challenge
- 702 Walk-the-talk and many more local sporting events…
What are the advantages of being a SPG member?
- Free online CPD webinars of sport injuries for Sport members
- Free sport related CPD articles and Podcasts with WiSH (WISH is a network of doctors, Researchers, Sport Physicians, Physio’s)
- Collaboration with SASMA (South African Sports Medicine Association)
- Free classifieds on the website as well as to the sport group data basis
- A platform to be involved with sporting events in South Africa as well as feedback from world sport congresses
- Sport group CPD accreditation
- Membership of the IFSPT
- Free use of and co-branding of promotional material for any sporting events e.g. gazebo and banners
- Discount at SPG events e.g. evening lectures, courses and congresses
- Opportunity to be involved with sporting events with remuneration for your time
- Bursary available for research and post graduate study
- Being part of the SPG closed Facebook group (platform for communication, advertising and obtaining important Sport Physiotherapy information)
Vision and Mission of the SPG
- To be a forum for physiotherapists with a special interest in sport.
- To promote excellence of services, at sporting events and the public.
- To represent the interest of sport physiotherapists on higher platforms.
- To assist the portfolios of the SASP with special input regarding policy, ethics and others, in the related fields of physiotherapy.
- To support the SPG members nationally and internationally in achieving and maintaining high quality standards of healthcare delivery by encouraging and providing continuing education.
- To provide the members of the SPG good value service resources and networking across the country and internationally.
- To promote a wider understanding of the role of the sport physiotherapist within the profession, other health professions, and the public at large.
SPT 1 course
We are in the process of accrediting the SPT1 course as a post-graduate diploma (PG Dip) through Wits University to be Internationally recognized. In the meantime, short sports courses are being organized by SPG until the PG Diploma Course is finalized.
How do I become a member?
You can become a member by choosing Sport as a Special Interest Group when renewing your SASP membership.
- Twitter: @SPGSASP
- Facebook: Sport Physio Group
SPT1 JHB - Jessica Lund - firstname.lastname@example.org Provincial chairs
South Gauteng - Denise Polson
North Gauteng - no representative